Welcome to the NFMA
The National Federation of Municipal Analysts (NFMA), founded in 1983, is a not-for-profit association with over 1,200 members throughout the U.S. The professional focus of our members is on the creditworthiness of municipal bonds. Since NFMA’s inception, our goals have been:
In furtherance of these goals, NFMA’s activities include the following:
- To promote professionalism in municipal credit analysis,
- Through our educational programs, to further the skill level of our members and to provide a platform by which analysts can exchange ideas,
- To advocate, when appropriate, issues of importance to the municipal finance industry, and
- To facilitate the flow of information among market participants, especially in terms of better issuer disclosure.
- An Annual Conference at which NFMA members and outside experts discuss matters of importance to the municipal bond market.
- Advanced Seminars, held at least twice yearly. These seminars focus on one particular and currently relevant topic of interest to municipal credit analysts.
- An Introduction to Municipal Credit Analysis, held annually to provide NFMA members and others the tools that are basic to understanding municipal credit concepts and practices.
- Recommended Best Practices in Disclosure. This is a series of publications, each of which promotes best disclosure practices for particular sectors of the market such as tax-backed debt or hospital debt.
- White Papers, which typically address disclosure practices for newer sectors of the market.
- Sponsorship of amicus curiae briefs when doing so supports NFMA’s other goals, especially the goal of better disclosure of municipal credit information.
- Testifying, when requested to do so, before regulatory and quasi-regulatory entities.
- Maintaining regular communication with regulatory agencies, industry groups, and other parties that are active in the municipal bond market.
Special Events & Notices
Please watch for program notices for the upcoming Advanced Seminar on Fiscal Emergencies and Distressed Credits, to be held October 4 & 5 at the MGM Grand in Detroit, MI.